Chronic Low Back Pain Statistics
According to the American Chiropractic Associations and other health organizations, low back pain statistics are sobering and unfortunately, it is getting worse and not better.
- Worldwide, back pain is the single leading cause of disability, preventing many people from engaging in work as well as other everyday activities.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.
- Back pain accounts for more than 264 million lost work days in one year—that’s two work days for every full-time worker in the country.
- Experts estimate that up to 80% of the population will experience back pain at some time in their lives.
- Back pain can affect people of all ages, from adolescents to the elderly.
- Back pain is the third most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, behind skin disorders and osteoarthritis/joint disorders.
- Most cases of back pain are mechanical or non-organic—meaning they are not caused by serious conditions, such as inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture or cancer.
- Worldwide, years lived with a disability caused by low back pain have increased by 54% between 1990 and 2015.
- Low-back pain costs Americans at least $50 billion in health care costs each year—add in lost wages and decreased productivity and that figure easily rises to more than $100 billion.
Low back pain remains a mystery to many providers. Many patients think it will take some magical unicorn tears to fix their back pain. We are here to tell you it doesn’t have to be a mystery, it doesn’t have to be common, and it doesn’t need unicorn tears to fix. Dr. Nottoli’s specialized approach to treating chronic back pain get results that many providers think are impossible.
Common Causes For Lower Back Pain
While there are many causes of lower back pain, the most common cause and the most under-diagnosed is the development of adhesion in the muscles. Adhesion can also occur in the tendons, ligaments, and nerves of the lower back as well. Adhesion is scar tissue that builds up due to excessive activity, poor posture and injury/trauma to the area. The longer adhesion is present the faster other pathologies like arthritis and disc injuries can occur. The good news is adhesion is reversible with expert treatment from Dr. Nottoli.
Our Effective Way Of Treating Chronic Low Back Pain
By taking a detailed history we can track all the details of your case. We also ask specific questions about your symptoms to help guide us to an accurate diagnosis. These questions include the quality, intensity, location and how makes these symptoms better or worse. We also look at past medical history and images.
Specialized Mobility and Functional Assessment Of The Lower Back:
With specific testing, we are able to measure how your bodies functioning. Not only do we want to get you out of pain we also want to improve your function. We then re-test these measurements and function to show the progress of your care. You can’t manage what you don’t measure and if your body doesn’t move it must improve.
Specialized Soft Tissue Treatment Of The Lower Back:
The supraspinous ligament is a large ligament that helps with flexion and stability of the spine. This extremely important structure of the spine is overlooked for treatment by 95% of all providers. Overuse of the muscles and ligaments in the lower back, trauma or poor posture leads to adhesion in this ligament. The good news with expert diagnosis and treatment like instrument adhesion release you see in the video, you don’t have to suffer anymore.
The Lumbar Erectors are the primary muscle group of the lumbar spine. Adhesion in these muscles causes decreased mobility, strength and extra stress on the discs and joints of the lower back. With expert treatment shown in this video, we provide sustained improvement in function and mobility.
The Psoas Major is a primary stabilizer of the lumbar spine. Always complaining of tight hip flexors? Back or hip pain? Adhesion in the hip flexors can be a culprit and a huge secondary contributor to lower back pain. In the video below we show we improve function and reduce adhesion in the hip flexors.
If you have chronic low back pain or have failed treatments with 3 or more providers you have found the right place. You don’t have to be in pain anymore. Call and schedule your consultation at 630-499-4078 or click here.