One of the most common phrases I hear in my clinic is “I must of have slept wrong.” when they describe their neck and back pain being worse in the morning. Unfortunately, in a majority of cases, it has nothing to do with how you are sleeping.
Is your pain in your neck or back worse in the morning? If so, ask yourself these questions?
- Does the pain get better after waking up and moving around?
- Have you had previous episodes of moderate to severe pain?
- Does the pain usually last 2-10 days before going away?
- Trouble sitting or standing prolonged periods of time?
- Are movements “guarded/protected” or noticing decreased range of motion?
If you answered yes to any or majority of these questions more than likely you have a disc injury. Many disc injuries are often undiagnosed. The most common cause for disc injuries is adhesion in the muscles. This creates a lack of flexibility and strength. This will make the disc worse over time leading to more pain and stiffness.
The good news is most disc injuries do not need surgery and respond well to conservative care. Removing adhesion unloads the disc and allows you to have more strength and flexibility.
Dr. Nottoli at Vitality Chiropractic Center specializes in the finding and fixing of adhesion and has helped many patients with disc injuries get back to their daily activities. Schedule online at myvitalitychiropractic.com or call 630-499-4078.